Registering a Car in France.

All vehicle registrations now have to be done online. We can do this for you, for more information and the cost of this service, please either email us or contact Chris on 06 73 17 33 98. The following documentation will be required:

Registering a UK vehicle in France

  1. Copy of your passport or photo I.D. (& for women, proof of Maiden name may be required)
  2. Copy of your UK log book (V5/Carte grise)
  3. Copy of a European Certificate Of Conformity issued by the manufacturer
  4. Certifcat de Acquisition d'un Véhicule Terrestre a Moteur (this form can be obtained from your local tax office and is free. You will need to know how many km it has done)
  5. Proof of residency in France. (e.g. Utility bill) no more than 3 months old
  6. Copy of a completed Cerfa No. 13750*05 and signed in the bottom left hand corner under "le titulaire" (this is the form for DEMANDE DE CERTIFICAT D'IMMATRICULATION D'UN VÉHICULE)
  7. Copy of a completed Cerfa No.13757*03, signed at the bottom (this is a MANDAT).
  8. If the vehicle is more than 4 years old then a current C.T. (contrôle technique) with at least 18 months left on it. This is the equivalent of an English MOT,

and lasts for 2 years. However, vans and vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MUST have an emissions test at a C.T. station after 1 year, (there is a small charge for this). The cost of a C.T. is approx 75€. You MUST have either beam deflectors or French headlights fitted.

-To register a vehicle that is already on French plates, you don't need numbers 3 and 4.

-Grey imports into the UK or vehicles that have never been imported to France may cause a problem but it is still possible to register them with a little work and perseverance.

-Emissions Charge.
This appears to be very much a grey area! We have been told different outcomes regarding this. Some departments we believe are charging an emissions charge on top of the registration fee where as some departments aren't.

-The Carte Grise website will help you to establish costs (you will need to know the CO2 output of your vehicle), but we recommend contacting your own prefecture for specific advice.


English mechanic in Deux-Sèvres
Motor Service
Vehicle Repairs
Change of Headlights
Registering a Car in France

Siret: 482 190 550 00012 Code APE 502Z APRM 502ZA
Privacy ~ © Tony Eyre . Website by Sarah Berry